Ohiofarmgirl's Adventures in The Good Land is largely a fish out of water tale about how I eventually found my footing on a small farm in an Amish town. We are a mostly organic, somewhat self sufficient, sustainable farm in Ohio. There's action and adventure and I'll always tell you the truth about farming.


Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Winter Hens

I kept trying to take pix of my winter hens yesterday.. but they kept getting photobombed by...

this turkey....

and Daisy.

Get out of my pictures, people!

Imagine if you will big, fluffy, fat hens happily pecking around. The chickens are doing great right now. We are getting a steady supply of eggs and most everyone is over their bad molt. Fortunately we've had really mild weather so far so everyone is out chickening around.

They all want to stay out as long as possible but these short days are just really frustrating for everyone. There is almost always a chase at night to get the last ones in. I don't blame them. These short days are making my cranky also. We need to start heading toward more daylight.

Happy Tuesday everyone! Are your chickens out and about?



4 comments:

Heavens Door Acres said...

Love the photo bombs! I had to LOL at Daisy, turning to look at you like " You want a picture, get one of my behind!" Haha. Silly goats. Our girls are FINALLY starting to "fluff up" I was worried there for a while. At least the weather co-operated during this molt.

David said...

Nice that it seems you have sun. Enjoy the chicks! WE have the greyness and short days upon us. But the apple trees have buds, so they know what's coming!

buddeshepherd said...

My wife's chickens have stopped going to bed at night. They huddle in the little pool of light spilling out of the little chicken door and seem quite frightened of the owls circling overhead.
Of course they are not smart enough to go to the light. I've taken to feeding them when I close them up but that is only marginally effective.
Part of the problem is the motion light nearby which trips when chickens run around outside in the dark. It probably turns on just long enough for the chickens to this it is daylight and then they get stranded in the dark.
Moral of the story, chickens are stupid...

Vera said...

Hang on in there, OFG, it will soon be the shortest day! As for hens and eggs - well, our hens have stopped laying and we have had to buy supermarket eggs for the last month or so, which I hate doing. And it will be a long time before we get any eggs here because we need to get a proper hen house built, and that is not likely to happen for quite some months yet.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...